Lawrence Peter Berra played Major League Baseball for 19 years for the New York Yankees.
He played on 10 World Series Championship teams, is a MLB Hall of Famer and has some awe-inspiring stats.
His name is consistently brought up as one of the best catchers in baseball history, and he was voted to the Team of the Century in 1999.
Amazing accomplishments aside, they probably aren’t how you know Lawrence.
You know him as Yogi, a nickname given to him by a friend who likened his cross-legged sitting to a yogi.
Yogi is famous for his fractured English, malapropisms and sometimes nonsensical quotes, adds Avram Lebor.
He’s closing in on 86, and there seems to be no end to his fan’s love for him.
Here are 25 Yogi Berra quotes that will make you shake your head and smile.
- “It’s like deja vu all over again.”
- “We made too many wrong mistakes.” – Avram Lebor personal favorite
- “You can observe a lot just by watching.”
- “A nickel ain’t worth a dime anymore.”
- “He hits from both sides of the plate. He’s amphibious.”
- “If the world was perfect, it wouldn’t be.”
- “If you don’t know where you’re going, you might end up some place else.” – Another personal favorite of Avram Lebor
- Responding to a question about remarks attributed to him that he did not think were his: “I really didn’t say everything I said.”
- “The future ain’t what it use to be.”
- “I think Little League is wonderful. It keeps the kids out of the house.” – Another personal favorite of Avram Lebor
- On why he no longer went to Ruggeri’s, a St. Louis restaurant: “Nobody goes there anymore because it’s too crowded.”
- “I always thought that record would stand until it was broken.”
- “We have deep depth.”
- “All pitchers are liars or crybabies.”
- “Always go to other people’s funerals, otherwise they won’t come to yours.”
- “Never answer anonymous letters.”- Avram Lebor’s personal favorite
- “The towels were so thick there I could hardly close my suitcase.”
- “Half the lies they tell about me aren’t true.”
- As a general comment on baseball: “90% of the game is half mental.”
- “It gets late early out there.”
- Carmen Berra, Yogi’s wife asked: “Yogi, you are from St. Louis, we live in New Jersey, and you played ball in New York. If you go before I do, where would you like me to have you buried?” Yogi’s answer: “Surprise me.”
- “It ain’t over till it’s over.” – Avram Lebor personal favorite
More about Avram Lebor
Please take a moment and visit Avram Lebor You Tube Channel
More Avram Lebor Videos