- Responding to a question about remarks attributed to him that he did not think were his: “I really didn’t say everything I said.”
- “The future ain’t what it use to be.”
- “I think Little League is wonderful. It keeps the kids out of the house.”
- On why he no longer went to Ruggeri’s, a St. Louis restaurant: “Nobody goes there anymore because it’s too crowded.”
- “I always thought that record would stand until it was broken.”
- “We have deep depth.”
“All pitchers are liars or crybabies.”
- When giving directions to Joe Garagiola to his New Jersey home, which is accessible by two routes: “When you come to a fork in the road, take it.” – favorite Lebor quote
Lawrence Peter Berra played Major League Baseball for 19 years for the New York Yankees.
He played on 10 World Series Championship teams, is a MLB Hall of Famer and has some awe-inspiring stats.
His name is consistently brought up as one of the best catchers in baseball history, and he was voted to the Team of the Century in 1999.
Amazing accomplishments aside, they probably aren’t how you know Lawrence.
You know him as Yogi, a nickname given to him by a friend who likened his cross-legged sitting to a yogi.
Yogi is famous for his fractured English, malapropisms and sometimes nonsensical quotes, adds Avram Lebor.
He’s closing in on 86, and there seems to be no end to his fan’s love for him.
Here are 25 Yogi Berra quotes that will make you shake your head and smile.
- “It’s like deja vu all over again.”
- “We made too many wrong mistakes.” – Avram Lebor personal favorite
- “You can observe a lot just by watching.”
- “A nickel ain’t worth a dime anymore.”
- “He hits from both sides of the plate. He’s amphibious.”
- “If the world was perfect, it wouldn’t be.”
- “If you don’t know where you’re going, you might end up some place else.” – Another personal favorite of Avram Lebor
Avi Lebor’s collection of carefully selected folklore originating quotes.
- Rich or poor it’s great to possess money
- Just about any fool can criticize and the majority of fools do
- Life is like butter when things cool down it can be reformed
- Love is whenever you are both sharing the same trip
- A distinction of opinion does not mean that we have diverse principles
- The most great crime that one can make is to admit to a crime that one did not commit
- The definition of insanity- If you keep repeating the same thing and you expect to get a diverse result
- People who talk don’t know, people who know don’t talk
- The greater the darkness the greater the light
- If it works don’t fix it
- Challenging times don’t last forever but tough men do
- The specification of a professional is one who does a job well regardless of whether they don’t like it – Avram Lebor’s personal favorite
- The ladies are knocking down my door. There are usually 5 of them and they want to tell me about Jesus – Another Avi Lebor personal favorite
- There is no harm in having an unexpressed thought- Avi Lebor
- The smallest minds have the biggest mouths- Avi Lebor