- If we can but prevent the government from wasting the labours of the people, under the pretence of taking care of them, they must become happy.
- I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend.
- A wise and frugal Government, which shall restrain men from injuring one another, which shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government, and this is necessary to close the circlue of our felicities.
- When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty.
- A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks.
- I hope we shall crush in its birth the aristocracy of our monied corporations which dare already to challenge our government to a trial by strength, and bid defiance to the laws of our country.
More Avi Lebor Quotes